ASI Tutorial: Sparkling Wine Service
Sparkling Wine Service
The purpose of this task is to present, open and serve sparkling wine in a safe and professional manner.
In a competition setting all sommeliers should be prepared for some alternative or challenging scenarios to test their skills.
Sommeliers should always follow the orders given by the instructor/organizer.
Ensure the bottle is properly chilled and keep it chilled. The bottle is kept in the ice bucket as often as possible.
- Always dry the bottle with a napkin.
- Present the wine to the host and state the wine, vintage, producer, appellation and country where applicable.
- Treat the bottle gently at all times. Make sure that the glassware is clean and not chipped.
- The bottle should always be standing upright while unwinding the wire of the cage.
- Keep one hand on the top of muselet having full control of the cork ensuring it does not pop out of the bottle.
- When opening the bottle ensure you hold it with both hands: one on the bottom, the other around the cork.
- The sommelier keeps a firm grip at all times.
- Turn the bottle, not the cork.