New Zealand Sommelier of the Year (Open)
This award recognises excellence in New Zealand and international wine knowledge for outstanding candidates working as a sommelier or senior manager in a hotel, lodge or restaurant. We encourage entries from candidates who can demonstrate excellent wine service and communication skills along with an in depth knowledge of wines from around the world.
Sunday 28 July 2019
9.30 - 11.00am | Written Exam and Blind Tasting
Includes multi-choice and short answer
Blind tasting of 2 international wines from classic regions and 4 spirits or fortified wines
11am | Meet John Szabo MS
1.30pm | 3 Finalists will be announced to complete the practical in a restaurant situation with guest judges seated at two tables
2.15 pm Service and selling techniques include:
- Present, open, decant and pour one wine (4 minutes)
- Food and Wine Pairing (4 minutes)
- General Knowledge questions
Convenor of Judges: Marek Przyborek CMS Advanced, Head Sommelier Sky City, Winner NZ Sommelier of the Year 2018
Guest Judge: John Szabo MS
12-6.30pm NZ Sommeliers and Wine Professionals Wine Tasting and Masterclasses
6pm AGM of New Zealand Sommeliers and Wine Professionals
7pm Awards Dinner at NZ School of Food and Wine
Terms & Conditions
- Must be currently employed for at least 24 months or, in the past, have worked for in a restaurant for 24 months or longer
- Must be currently working in New Zealand.
- Must a member of the New Zealand Sommeliers and Wine Professionals Association.
Prize: To attend and compete in the National Competition of Sommeliers Australia 2020
- Accommodation and Flights
- Details to be confirmed